We use cookies and other tools to enhance your experience on our website and to analyze our web traffic.
For more information about these cookies and the data collected, please refer to our Privacy Policy.

Some help or advice on readings

1 post
Was this reply useful? Learn more...

[-]
TiredGuy +0 points · about 4 years ago Original Poster

Hi All. I recently got a Philips CPAP (mid January) and it is definitely improving my quality of living. However, some of the readings are fairly poor an don't appear to be getting better. For example, last night was 9.4 with no leak and a min pressure of 12 and max of 20. I do have an appointment with my doctor at the end of March, as that's a while away I'm interest what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

3,158 posts
bio

[-]
Sierra +0 points · about 4 years ago Sleep Patron

Yes, those readings are showing some need for improvement. What you need to do is post a daily report where the AHI is high and that may provide some better clues as to what is going on. They key is to look at when events occur, what the pressure is, and what type of event they are. Obstructive or Central. From what you have provided it seems you do better with a higher minimum pressure. The Phillips machines are quite aggressive about dropping pressure after an event occurs. For that reason you can get into a cycle of event, pressure increase, pressure drop, event, and this repeats over and over. The way to prevent that is to increase the minimum pressure so the machine can't keep reducing pressure.

If you post the Daily Report showing the events and pressures that would be more helpful.

30 posts
bio

[-]
huffnpuffing +0 points · about 4 years ago

i use a philips auto dreamstation with a full face mask.what i found was the pressure at 18 seemed to be pumping a lot of air into the room,not benefitting me. now have max pressure at 11,only a wisp of air coming from the vent holes on the mask. place your hand in front of mask at 20 and feel the amount of air coming out,then try at lesser pressures and notice the difference.my ahi is generally less than 3. you can only try.

3,158 posts
bio

[-]
Sierra +0 points · about 4 years ago Sleep Patron

The mask venting air is normal. That is how the mask keeps the air fresh in the mask so you are not inhaling previously exhaled air. The larger the mask volume the more vent air flow there is. The air pressure is what keeps your airway open. The idea is to use just enough pressure to keep the airway open which in turn minimizes the obstructive apnea.

5 posts
bio

[-]
DanielJ +0 points · about 4 years ago

If your condition starts to deteriorate, be sure to see your online doctor for a consultation. I hope this doesn't happen to you before your appointment.

Please be advised that these posts may contain sensitive material or unsolicited medical advice. MyApnea does not endorse the content of these posts. The information provided on this site is not intended nor recommended as a substitute for advice from a health care professional who has evaluated you.