We use cookies and other tools to enhance your experience on our website and to analyze our web traffic.
For more information about these cookies and the data collected, please refer to our Privacy Policy.

Inspire device for OSA implanted Sept 2018

4 posts
Was this reply useful? Learn more...

[-]
Chuck +0 points · over 5 years ago Original Poster

I'm 65 and been struggling with OSA for many years. I first identified my OSA over 20 years ago with a sleep study. It identified me with medium OSA. Ive tired 2 more sleep lab studies through the years and never lasted more than 3-3.5 hours. Ive used 2 "at home sleep studies" which dont provide as much data or visual, but do help. . My OSA has progressed to severe in the last 5 years even though I tried other strategies to improve my OSA. Ive had an ENT provide ablation ( causing a slight reduction of tissue volume) to the base of my large tongue. In office procedure done 1x/month for 6 months. Didnt clearly change anything for me. Ive learned by better listening that my larger tongue is really the issue, which falls back cutting off air when I sleep at night. Ive tried CPAP several times and sadly never could get to sleep, even ONCE. I've had UPPP surgery approx 10 years ago. No help. Ive had several nasal surgeries but they've had little help. 2 years ago I was fitted for a dental appliance which I still use. Its helped a little ( my events/hr are down but still high) and I'm still struggling sleeping well.

I'm new to this forum and just had the Inspire device implanted 9/11/18. Ive turned on the Inspire for 3 weeks now and notice a slight improvement to my sleep. Im in the start up phase of ramping up the microvoltage every 3-4 days. I go to bed at 10pm regularly and Im now lasting until 3-4 pm before getting up to go to the bathroom. Disappointed so far that this hasnt been a " game changer " yet. Will Have my 1st post surgery sleep lab study in 10 days.

3,204 posts
bio

[-]
Sierra +0 points · over 5 years ago Sleep Patron

It sounds like a very innovative way to address sleep apnea. Please keep us posted on how you make out with it. I read one report that said it gave a 68% reduction in apnea events. But it also said at the time of the article (2015) the cost was in the order of $60,000. Ouch! Not so cheap!

4 posts

[-]
Chuck +0 points · over 5 years ago Original Poster

I would love to hear of others' experiences with Inspire devices. I'm hoping my long term sleep issues will be greatly improved over time

3,204 posts
bio

[-]
Sierra +0 points · over 5 years ago Sleep Patron

I read over your posts from a few years ago, and it sure seems like you have gone through a lot trying to address your apnea issues. I wish you the best of luck with this new type of treatment.

Please be advised that these posts may contain sensitive material or unsolicited medical advice. MyApnea does not endorse the content of these posts. The information provided on this site is not intended nor recommended as a substitute for advice from a health care professional who has evaluated you.