We use cookies and other tools to enhance your experience on our website and to analyze our web traffic.
For more information about these cookies and the data collected, please refer to our Privacy Policy.


Joined Aug 2017
Joined Aug 2017

I have a Contec SpO2 monitor that i wear on my wrist. It records all night long. I'll post some charts of a good night and bad night. What is concerning, is that on my "bad" nights, I'll have a LOT of obstructions in a row. Yet my O2 doesn't drop very low. Maybe 90%. But then on a "good" night, I'll have a 20sec that drops it to the 80's which is weird. My AHI is most of the time is low. AHI < 2. Other times it goes up over AHI 7+. I'm trying to keep my AHI down, because I have AFIB, and when I get a lot of obstructions in a row, it has caused my heart to go into abnormal rhythm.

I am now on my second sleep doctor. Previous doctor had me only on APAP which didn't work well. My current sleep doctor at least got me a BIPAP which works better. But...he is not very thorough in looking into sleep problems. He looks at the 30-60 day summary and says my average is good. He refuses to analyze the nights where I have a LOT of obstructions.

So I started to set my own pressures, and bumping up the maximum. But my machine kept hitting the maximum as seen in the image below. But the doctor came back and reset my pressures, and said that I do better on "lower pressures" and with PS 4. I don't see how that is possible? He even lowered my maximum, as seen in the second picture. Also if I have any type of leaks, my night will be terrible. I've woken up with major palpitations, tachycardia, night sweats, and my left side of chest quivers bad like my heart took a pounding all night long.

Here is a "bad" night. Notice all the obstructions in a row. I'm not sure why that is, since I also use a ResMed Narval Dental Appliance to move my jaw/tongue forward.

Here is a good night, but my O2 dropped to 80's during a single event.

I had the same issue for several months this summer. I kept trying to doze off to sleep, then would wake up. I eventually bought a Contec SpO2 watch with O2 finger sensor. I wear it at night to record what was going on. Immediately upon falling asleep, I'd have transitional Central Apneas happen. Then I'd wake up immediately upon dozing. It would repeat and repeat. I'd eventually give up trying to get to sleep and wouldn't sleep for a night.

I also had crazy random muscle spasms and jerks, especially in my neck and head area. My doctors claimed it was all "stress" and "anxiety" causing these symptoms. They had no solution, and I even went to the ER twice this year because I couldn't get to sleep.

I did find out though, that in May I had DVT/PE (blood clots in lungs), and I was in the hospital for a few days. During a couple nights, I told them to monitor my O2 levels which they did. The hospital O2 alarm kept going off, because my O2 would drop, just like it did when I was at home. And I would have the same terrible Central Apneas happen. This continued to happen for a week or longer after I was home and put on blood thinners. But it has since gone away for the most part.

I also found out I had gallstones, and during the day I had this "unwell" feeling all the time. Especially after eating and taking my Multaq and Bystolic for AFIB. I thought it could be medicine causing the issue. But I think all of these symptoms were caused due to a combination of my anxiety/panic disorder, blood clots, and the gallstones.

So far for the last couple of months, I haven't experienced any transitional Central Apneas. But I do occasionally wake up and have insomnia. I take a very low dose of Klonopin and Melatonin at night to sometimes sleep. This helps, and doesnt seem to affect my breathing.

My only current issue is that I still get dizziness and feel faint when I stand up sometimes! Last night I was on my couch, I stood up, and immediately the room started spinning, and I felt like I was going to pass out. I took my Blood Pressure and it was a little high, 153/90. Went to the clinic this morning and they had no answers. An EKG was normal.